Black Girl x 23 Lessons at 23
Updated: Oct 3, 2019
The past is where you learned the lesson, the future is where you apply the lesson.”
Hey Black Girl,
Last Friday I celebrated my 23rd birthday and I’d like to share 23 lessons that life has taught me thus far. So here we go:
1. When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
People will always show you what type of person they are, you just have to believe them. Don’t ignore the red flags.
2. You’re not always right.
This one is a hard truth to swallow but very relevant. Once you realize this,
life will be much easier.
3. Alone time is very vital. In order to care for others you must first care for yourself.
Help others by helping yourself first. You cannot pour from an empty cup.
4. Everybody won’t support you, even some of the people closest to you. Don’t take it personal.
Whew, this is a hard truth but very relevant. Everyone won’t support you in
your endeavors. The tricky part is not taking it personal. You will get the
support you need from the people who matter the most.
5. Save as much as you can. You never know when you’ll need it.
This is self explanatory. You never know when a rainy day will hit. Car battery
dies, unexpected bills, just hiccups in life. Stay ready so you don’t have to get ready.
6. Rejection is just redirection.
A lot of times God only redirects us to something better.
7. I am not perfect and that’s ok.
What matters is that I’m growing and trying.
8. Closed mouths don’t get fed. You have to speak up.
Don’t be afraid to speak up for yourself. If you aren’t happy with something
or someone, say it!!
9. Step out of your comfort zone.
Nothing great happens in the comfort zone.
10. Be your authentic self.
Be you! Don’t try to be who you think people want you to be.
11. Set boundaries and stick to them.
Set boundaries for yourself and don’t let people cross them.
12. Surround yourself around people who uplift you not people who tear you down.
You’re only as strong as the people you surround yourself with. Let go of people
who are not genuinely happy for you and your accomplishments.
13. Be kind.
You never know what people are going through.
14. Find a mentor.
I always find a mentor wherever I go, you’re never too old or too smart to seek guidance.
PS: Here's a picture of one of my mentors and I. Be sure to check her feature out on Black Excellence of the Week!
15. Always leave situations on a good note.
Don’t burn bridges with people.
16. Fast from social media at least once a month.
This is essential for your mental health. Sometimes you need to take a detox
from social media to refocus.
17. Don’t compare yourself to other people. We all are at different stages in our life.
You can’t compare yourself and blessings to others.
18. Practice gratitude.
Be thankful for everything and everyone in your life. This is the secret
19. Be present
Practice living in the present. It’s good to look forward to the future but sometimes you have to live in the moment and enjoy it.
20. Stop overthinking.
Sometimes we can create scenarios in our mind that only exist in our mind. Relax.
21. If you’re debating on moving to another city/state, DO IT!
I moved to two different states within the past year and I’m so glad that I did. I’ve
grown so much and I feel like I wouldn’t be where I am today without taking that leap of faith.
22. Don’t sit on your dreams, take actions.
It took me 7+ months to start this blog, when in actuality it only should’ve taken
a month. That’s crazy! I had so many excuses and only “plans.”
23. And finally, be patient!! What’s for you, will be for you. You don’t have to force things when it’s meant for you.
What are some lessons that you’ve learned so far on your journey? Feel free to comment below.